Sunday, December 21, 2014

When things get loud...

Yesterday, I tracked guitars for nine new songs. The album is being recorded at Veneto West studio in Santa Monica, CA, with producer Ronan Chris Murphy (who also took the amazing photos in this post). The experience thus far has been really great. It's amazing to see the music begin to take shape right in front of your eyes and ears. We started the session off by tackling the acoustic numbers.



This album is going to have a lot of dynamic to it, in the sense of different moods, different perspectives, different intensities of expression. The working title is "Multitudes," after all... There are several themes that tie all the songs together, and it has become impossible in my writing to really separate fact and fiction. I've come to think that this is probably for the best. So I decided to let them both swim together in this music and we'll see what happens.

After getting some good rhythms, we turned to some of the more experimental sounds. I had a very refreshing time getting a lot of loud feedback in the attempt to capture some texture for one of the album's darker songs ("Marcy's Lament"). The tune is written from the perspective of a murdered woman, and she calls out to her killer from the afterlife. So yeah, it seems like some dark, swirling textures might be needed on that track! Anyway, things got loud at this point in the session.


Next up, I'll be doing the main vocals. We've already tracked the bass and drums, and I'll be posting about that a little later. I'm super thankful to be working with such talented folks on this record. And I can't wait to share this new music with the world.

No comments: