Friday, September 19, 2008

into the mix...

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! It faintly yet confidently glimmers in the darkness. In other words, it shouldn't be too much longer until this project is ready for the streets. The rough mixes are done! Now we roll up the sleeves and get to work making one last analysis before the mixing begins. From my perspective, I am only listening for glaring mistakes and/or slight edits...the basic picture is firmly in place. And I think it sounds pretty damn good. Here is the track listing (song order subject to change):

1. Seven Years Now
2. Full Speed Ahead
3. Atlantic Street
4. Rest Here Easy
5. Paper Man
6. The Last Thing
7. Dreamin' Ghosts
8. Bound to Go
9. Diamond Highway
10. Rocketship
11. Every Stone
12. Walkin' (to wake)
13. Riddle In My Suitcase
14. Empire

You might recognize some of these songs, some might be a bit unfamiliar...I am not sure how it happened, but the songs left standing seem to work well together. There is a lot of reflection and interrogation, image and fragment, and a respect for the past overtaken by a hunger for the future. And some hoots and hollers. Barbaric yawps and rough, cursory attempts at knowledge. The whole shebang. A taste of everything I can muster at this point.

Last session saw a bit of backup singing. I had the pleasure of adding the lovely voices of Dan Blakeslee, Mike Null, Sara Colb, and Daniella Colb to the songs Every Stone and Diamond Highway. It was a lot of fun, and the vibe during the recording was casual and fun. Sara came up with a great call/response part for Diamond Highway that seems like it came straight out of an old Appalachian aesthetic! Very June Carter. Cool stuff. Dan Blakeslee brought his great vocal talent and his amazing energy. If you are not familiar with Dan's music, I suggest you check him out. You will not be disappointed. There are few songwriters and performers of his caliber playing out there on the scene. Here are some photos courtesy of Tom Eaton's cell phone:



From left to right, that's Dan Blakeslee, Daniella Colb, Mike Null, Sara Colb, and myself.

I will be sure to send an update on how the mixing process is going. Right now, the album could be done and available by mid-December with an official release party/show happening sometime in January. Oh yeah, I almost forgot: I posted a couple of rough mixes on my MySpace site. Shhhhhhh....don't tell anyone...it's a secret. (ha ha)

No comments: